The improvement in mobile devices technology and internet connectivity have enabled people to consume more and more media digitally. It has also resulted in people spending far more time on digital media as compared to traditional media such as print or radio.
Digital devices have given people the option to consume digital medial content on the go. Audio and Video are most popular and have both had a significant impact on people’s lives. Mediums such as Netflix and Spotify have transformed peoples lives and the average time spent on these platforms per day continues to increase.
There has been a significant shift away from desktop internet use to mobile and tablet worldwide.
As a result off these shifting consumer trends marketers are shifting their attention to align with the shift of viewer preference away from traditional media to digital media.
Presentation and Video Pitch
Below you will find links to a SlideShare PowerPoint Presentation and a YouTube Video Pitch. These will provide you with statistics and information on how consumers use technology.
Link to SlideShare Presentation: https://www.slideshare.net/secret/KOklQtyGIlxX2U
Link to YouTube Video Pitch:
Below you will find a Slide Script for the video pitch.
Slide 2: Access to the internet
Global number of internet users 2005-2019
• Statistic shows an increase in internet users from 2005-2009.
• Easier access to computers, the modernization of countries around the world and an increased utilization of smartphones has given people the opportunity to use the internet more frequently and with more convenience.
• In 2019, the number of internet users worldwide was 4.13 billion, up from 3.92 billion in the previous year
Slide 3: Access to the internet
Countries with the highest number of internet users as of June 2019 (in millions)
• As of June 2019, China was ranked first among the countries with the most internet users
• According to a recent report, there were 4.13 billion internet users around the world. Amount of humans on earth is estimated at around 8.5 billions, which means that over 41% of the world population is using the internet.
• China had 854 million internet users, more than double the amount of third-ranked United States with just over 293 million internet users.
Slide 4: Access to the internet
Countries with the fastest average mobile internet speeds )as of January 2020).
• This statistic presents the top ten countries with the fastest average mobile internet speed as of January 2020.
• As of the measured period, the country with the fastest average mobile internet speed in Mbps was the UAE, with an average mobile internet speed of 87.01 Mbps
Slide 5: Digital devices
Internet usage worldwide – Desktop vs Mobile
• The number of people across the world who access the internet from smartphones and tablets has been increasing over the last few years.
• Mobile devices are getting more and more popular and are, as the statistic shows, overtaking the desktop as the most popular method of browsing online.
Slide 6: Digital devices
Global mobile data traffic from 2017 to 2022 (in exabytes per month)
• The statistic shows that the mobile data traffic is increasing, meaning more and more people are accessing the internet from their mobile devices. • Mobile accounts for approximately half of web traffic worldwide. In the first quarter of 2019, mobile devices (excluding tablets) generated 48.71 percent of global website traffic, consistently hovering around the 50 percent mark since the beginning of 2017.
Slide 7 – How customers search for information
• Over 90% of all searches are conducted via google à google are the preferred seach engine.
• A marketing analytics firm that licenses anonymous ClickStream data from hundreds of millions of users, about 62.6% of all searches online are through Google’s core function.
• Just the beginning, as that number doesn’t include other Google functions like image search or Google Maps, or properties such as YouTube.
Slide 8: What consumers buy online
Leading product categories purchased by amazon shoppers in the united states (as of February 2019)
• As of February 2019, it was found that 44 percent of U.S. Amazon shoppers had purchased electronics via the company’s website. The electronics segment was the most popular product category purchased by Amazon shoppers in the United States, followed by apparel, footwear/jewelry and home & kitchen goods.
Slide 9: Online video consumption
Users of worldwide video streaming in age groups.
• Shows that the most users of video streaming is people in the age 18-54 and that the age group 25-34 uses video streaming the most as of 2019.
Slide 10: Online video consumption
• Shows how video and audio traffic has dominated the internet for some years now.
• Goes hand in hand with the easy access to the internet and subscription-based digital content providers such as Netflix, YouTube, Spotify etc.
Slide 11: Consumer trends
• Mobile Devices = Preferred medium. The technology is so intelligent, and it is easy to use anywhere because of the fast internet.
• Online media consumption = Consumers are shifting away from traditional types of media and spending more time on digital media.
• E commerce = Is getting more and more popular as it is easy to access, because of the big market and the competitive prices. In 2019 there were 2,14 billion digital buyers worldwide.
Broadbandsearch, 2020. Mobile Vs. Desktop Usage (Latest 2020 Data) [Online] https://www.broadbandsearch.net/blog/mobile-desktop-internet-usage-statistics#post-navigation-5 [Accessed 6 May 2020]
Clement, J., 2020. Number of internet users worldwide from 2005 to 2019 (in millions). [online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/273018/number-of-internet-users-worldwide/ [ Accessed 4 May 2020]
Clement, j., 2020. Global digital population as of April 2020 (in billions). [online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/617136/digital-population-worldwide/ [Accessed 4 May 2020]
Clement, J., 2020. Countries with the highest number of internet users as of June 2019(in millions). [Online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/262966/number-of-internet-users-in-selected-countries/ [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Clement, J., 2020. Countries with the fastest average mobile internet speeds as of January 2020(in Mbps). [Online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/896768/countries-fastest-average-mobile-internet-speeds/ [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Clement, J., 2020. Global mobile data traffic from 2017 to 2022(in exabytes per month). [Online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271405/global-mobile-data-traffic-forecast/ [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Clement, J., 2019. Leading product categories purchased by Amazon shoppers in the United States as of February 2019. [Online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/639155/popular-amazoncom-sales-by-category/ [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Desjardins, J., 2018. This Chart Reveals Google’s True Dominance Over the Web. [Online] Available at: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/this-chart-reveals-googles-true-dominance-over-the-web/ [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Deloitte, 2015. Digital Media: Rise of On-demand Content. [Online] Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/in-tmt-rise-of-on-demand-content.pdf [Accessed 11 May 2020]
Statista, 2020. Video Streaming – worldwide. [Online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/outlook/206/100/video-streaming–svod-/worldwide [Accessed 7 May 2020]
Thubron, R., 2016. Mobile web browsing becomes more popular than desktop for the first time. [Online] Available at: https://www.techspot.com/news/66899-mobile-web-browsing-becomes-more-popular-than-desktop.html [Accessed 7 May 2020]